Horodisch Collection on the history of books
The collection is identified in the DaTa system by the letters CH
Specil collections- The 3rd floor of the Gruss-Wiener Building
Tuesday, Thursday 10:00-16:00
The Horodisch Collection on the history of books and printing comprises some 10,000 titles – books and journals emphasizing the important, crucial role the book had played in developing human culture in many aspects: Historical, technical, artistic and many other.
The various subjects covered by the items in the collection include book history, the history of printing and publication, Illuminating books and manuscripts, Calligraphy, typography, bibliography, binding, paper industry, Ex-Libris, the book's role in the development of general culture, graphical art, forgery, reading, etc.
The collection is an important research tool thanks to the comprehensive scope of subjects covered by its items and the uniqueness and rarity of some of its books. The collection supports the Horodisch Chair for the history of books.
The following two databases were purchased thanks to the Horodisch Foundation:
- Early European Books collections 1-6,8,10-12
About the collections>>
- Eighteenth century collections online (ECCO)
Literature and Language General Reference | History and Geography
- Literary Print Culture: The Stationers' Company Archive, 1554-2007
Book History Online
A few books from the collection:
Album d'Ex-libris rares et curieux du XVIIe au XIXe siecle. L. Joly, 1895
Boyer, Paul S. Purity in print: book censorship in America from the Guilded age to the Computer Age. 2nd ed., University of Wisconsin Press, 2002
Davenport, Cyril. English embroided bookbindings. Kegan Pual, Trench, Trubner, 1899
Ogle, John J. The free library: its history and present condition. G. Allen, 1897
- אופיר, נח. קליגרפיה: כתב עברי נאה. תו, תשנ"ג, 1993
- תדגי, יוסף. הספר והדפוס העברי בפאס. ירושלים, מכון בן-צבי לחקר קהילות ישראל במזרח, תשנ"ד, 1994
More information on Dr. Horodisch:
Boas, Henriette. "Horodisch, Abraham." Encyclopaedia Judaica. Ed. Michael Berenbaum and Fred Skolnik. 2nd ed. Vol. 9. Detroit: Macmillan Reference USA, 2007. 527-528. Gale Virtual Reference Library. Web. 12 Feb. 2014.
Dr. Horodisch has written and edited more than 200 books and articles.
The following are some of his titles:
- Die Exlibris Des Uriel Birnbaum : Gefolgt Von Einer Selbstbiographie Des Kunstlers. Zurich: Zurich : Verlag der Safah-Stiftung : Auslieferung Erasmus Antiquariat, Amsterdam, 1957.
- Picasso as a Book Artist. London: London : Faber and Faber, 1962.
- Ogle, John J. The Free Library : Its History and Present Condition. London: London : G. Allen, 1897..
Dr. Abraham Horodisch (1898-1987)
Dr. Abraham Horodisch, who created and enriched the collection as his life project has donated it to the Tel-Aviv University. Dr. Horodisch was a prominent expert in the fields of book history and design, a publisher, a bibliophile and the owner of the Erasmus Antiquariaat in Amsterdam.